whaleDraft National Strategy for Mitigating Vessel Strike of Marine Mega-fauna

The Department of the Environment and Energy has released a draft National Strategy for Mitigating Vessel Strike of Marine Mega-fauna for public comment. The Strategy is a guiding framework for identifying species most at risk of vessel collision, areas where these species are most at risk, and appropriate management measures to reduce the collision risk.

Submissions are invited until 9 December 2016. Read more and have your say.


Tasmania-logoTasmanian Budget Consultation 

The State Budget Consultation is now open, with individuals and groups invited to make submissions regarding proposed 2017-2018 budget allocations. The government will give greater weight to submissions that are “in line with the Government’s long term plan for Tasmania’s future.”

Budget submissions can be made until 9 December 2016Read more and have your say.



Tasmanian Regional Forest Agreement

The Tasmanian Regional Forest Agreement (RFA) is due to expire in November 2017.  The Federal and Tasmanian governments are committed to establishing a “rolling 20-year extension” of the RFA, with some minor amendments to the monitoring, communication, review and dispute resolution clauses.  Feedback is invited by 23 December 2016.  Read more and have your say.

Drop-in sessions to discuss the proposed extension are being held by the Department of State Growth:

  • 5 December 2016, 4.00–7.30pm at Peach & Plum Rooms – Huon LINC, 1 Skinner Drive, Huonville
  • 7 December 2016, 4.00–7.30pm at Wellers Inn, 36 Queen Street, Burnie
  • 8 December 2016, 4.00–7.30pm at The LINC, 51 King Street, Scottsdale


Black and Brookers gum forest community considered for critically endangered listing

e_brookerana_caps_xThe national Threatened Species Scientific Committee is undertaking an assessment on the “Tasmanian forests and woodlands dominated by black gum or Brookers gum (Eucalyptus ovata / E. brookeriana)” to determine whether to list the forest type as a critically endangered ecological community under the EPBC Act. The draft conservation advice shows over 90% decline in abundance of the forest community (which occurs mostly in northern and eastern Tasmania).

Listing the ecological community under the EPBC Act will raise awareness of threats to the community, require detailed assessment before any further reduction on abundance is threatened, and encourage restoration efforts.

Comments on the draft conservation advice and listing proposal can be made until 27 January 2017Read more and have your say.

Stay up to date

To stay up to date with opportunities to comment, subscribe to the EDO Tasmania Bulletin.   You can also use these resources to gather information about current opportunities to have your say.


  • Tasmanian Government
  • Environment Protection Authority – Assessments in Progress
  • TasWater – Have your say
  • Tasmanian Planning Commission – Amendments to Planning Scheme
  • Planning Alerts – this is a free website that allows you to register to receive an email when a local government planning application is lodged near you (note:  as at January 2016, only Hobart, Launceston, Clarence, Kingborough, Huon Valley and Sorell Councils have signed up to this service – if you are in another local government area, encourage your council to register with Planning Alerts)
  • Local councils
    • check the public notices in your local paper, look for the Council logo.  All discretionary planning applications must be advertised
    • read local newsletters for information about upcoming public meetings and consultations
    • check your Council’s website (generally, in the “Public Notices” section).