The Tasmanian Government today released the independent report commissioned as part of the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area Bushfire and Climate Change Research Project.
The report concludes that climate change will increase the risks of bushfire in the TWWHA in coming years, and makes a series of recommendations, including:
- development of a comprehensive fire management plan, including clear objectives for planned burns
- improved monitoring and detection technologies
- improved mapping of vegetation, soil, natural and cultural values within the TWWHA
- protocols for rapid assessment
- more effective and timely rehabilitation activities.
To read the report, click here.